Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Season change

We are approaching that time in the year where sweat is easy to come by, as are sunburns and chaffing. But that's not the season I'm talking about. I'm talking about a season of my life. I have been a "RUNNER" for many years now. It's been an integral part of my identity, my social life, my stress relief, and competitive outlet. But I need to face the facts. The facts are telling me that I cannot compete at the level that I wish to compete (lookin' at you hammy). The facts are telling me that my motivation has been spotty over the past 1.5 years. The facts are telling me that I'm in grad school and sometimes training stress and grad school stress are too much for me to handle at once.

What does this all mean? It means that I'm temporarily moving out of a "Running Season" where I live and breath running, and into a new season which I will call "New Moon", because that sounds like a blank slate to me. I'm trying my best to embrace New Moon, but is a major challenge for me to let go of my tight grip on "RUNNER". I'm trying to be a beginner and experiment with different types of exercise (like hot yoga), and I'm trying to figure out how to make my body and mind feel as good as running used to make me feel.  I need to do *something* while I work through this injury (and finish grad school for that matter).

Honestly, this New Moon season feels awful right now. I don't feel fit, strong, or capable like I used to while running 50+ miles per week. But I imagine any time anyone completely mixes up their exercise routine, there is a period of clumsy discomfort while the body catches up. I also feel as though I am still processing the intense work-related stress that engulfed the entirety of 2015. Yeah, yeah, I know it's June. It was a bad year.

So, here's to embracing New Moon and accepting that "RUNNER" just can't be front and center right now. Do I need to wave around some burning sage to seal this or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment