Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Strength



Confession: I started doing something that if you asked me 3-5 years ago if I'd ever even *consider* doing it, I would've scoff and said, "No way! I can't do that and run seriously at the same time!".  Well, newsflash, I don't anticipate seriously training for the remainder of 2016.

So, at the encouragement of one of my best friends and Groupon, I decided to jump into Crossfit. I know, I know. It's a divisive thing. Either you're saying to yourself, "Hell yeah! Get it girl!" or you're absolutely appalled. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

But if I'm honest with myself I've been MAJORLY slacking in the strength training department for a long time. I feel noticeably weaker these days, and I wasn't super strong to begin with. I've always wanted to be able to lift heavier and explore that aspect of fitness (Will it improve my running? Will I feel fitter? Will my muscles get bulky?). Crossfit is filling that void for me right now, and it's fun! Since I'm in the beginner phase (like, so bad at everything) I can see improvements every time I go.

Now a question from all you runners out there that have dabbled in both running and Crossfit-like activities. Did it help your running at all? Did your speed improve? Any unanticipated consequences of mixing the two together? Any surprises? DO TELL!

No comments:

Post a Comment