Thursday, June 2, 2016

Small steps

We all know a cliché quote or five that I could put here. I'll spare you the sap. What I really want to talk about is the celebration of small steps in the right direction. Of course we all want the big breakthroughs, dramatic improvement, and over night successes. And we also all KNOW that the world doesn't work that way. In the day-to-day tedium of completing a big goal, whether it be injury recovery, honing a skill, or perhaps just making it through the week, there is value in acknowledging the small wins. Here are some from my day:

"I got out the door to run."

"I didn't get in a car wreck despite someone swerving dangerously on the highway."

"I finished all my lab work (and results look decent)."

"My hamstring didn't scream bloody murder during yoga."

"I packed some boxes."

(I live a thrilling life, I know.)

But really, some of these small steps felt like big steps because of mental resistance or the fact that they haven't happened for the last few weeks but did happen today. I am trying to hold these small wins in my mind to help me through more small steps tomorrow. Without a little celebration each day, the bigger goal seems way too big.





No comments:

Post a Comment